[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
X-INfERNO.com - View topic - Its a GitBox man
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Its a GitBox man 
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Post Its a GitBox man September 18th, 2009, 8:52 am
Soooooo, I dont have a guitar...It got stole a little while back, it was my baby and I loved her soo

But now I think im ready to move on, but I dont think i want to just go and buy another one. I want to make my MONSTER. I have sketches of how i want it to look. materials i want to use. I do have a bigger more grandiose idea of where i want it to eventually end up, but for now i think i just want to make one and see if i can physically do it. Very basic construction and design.

Does any one have access to an CNC machine? just to make things a little easier on me

Site Admin

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 18th, 2009, 3:43 pm
maybe through a few friends i could scare up access to one. i will ask for you and let you know.

Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 18th, 2009, 4:09 pm
thanks Pat, appreciate it. Now i dont know how exactly the CNC machine works, but i know you got to input data to tell the CNC machine what to do....right? haha

Site Admin

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 19th, 2009, 1:58 am
oh, well you will need to know how to use one first of all.

i think i could get you access to one but getting someone to help you with this project from start to finish might be a bit more. i thought you had the drawings and files necessary to utilize a CNC machine however without those it will take a bit of training.

what are you considering to use as the material?

Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 19th, 2009, 8:17 am
Wood, specifically a guitar body plank made from something inexpensive.

For this first run i might just need a band saw or some kind of saw i could maneuver through some curves on a block of wood no more then 3"-3.5" thick x 14"-18" long x 14" wide.

My main concern right now is getting a body design down, then cutting it out and shaping it to something comfortable and stylish.

But, as i always do i am thinking 15 stepes ahead and have a big idea of where i want to take this thing. Making a ridiculous chambered (wood) body guitar with chromed sheet metal pieces screwed on to cover the body, made to resemble a P-51 WW2 war bird. But that wont come til way later in the game when i have all my designs, specs, drawings, pretty much everything down to a T so i know exactly how i want things to feel and look. what ya think? its ambitious i know, but i love WWII warbirds and that chromed aluminum look.

Site Admin

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 20th, 2009, 10:53 pm
I think that would look awesome however you don't need a CNC machine. yeah, if you already had the the software and experiance it would speed up the build signifigantly however since you have no experiance we might as well work with that. you can make something just as awesome but with more personalization with a few wood working machines and some hand tools. the band saw will be the first step in getting the general overall shape of the guitar. the second step will involve files, a router and sander. with those tools you can make pretty much anything. do you have any drawings or ideas yet? if so then i can get a better idea of what tools and processes that we will need.

this sounds like an awesome project!

Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 20th, 2009, 11:51 pm
i got ideas in my head...ill get some drawings down to try and show it on here, get a better idea of what i am going for.

I was just thinking with CNC we could knock out a crazier design, since it will involve so much chamber and holes in the body...but it will get figured out when we hit that bridge

60w light bulb

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 21st, 2009, 1:10 pm
wow I've never heard of anyone making their own guitar. That's crazy!

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 21st, 2009, 1:56 pm

What a strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 21st, 2009, 6:09 pm
CNC is a robot of destruction basically, you tell it to destroy in certain shapes and it does it

And making my own guitar has been something I been wanting to do for about 4 years now, and since my Gibson got stolen I can finally go on with my creating plans....RIP Pewter Gibson

Site Admin

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 21st, 2009, 11:39 pm
This is a CNC Machine:

Profile YIM WWW
60w light bulb

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am
whoa crazy robot! So you want that machine to make your guitar?

Post Re: Its a GitBox man September 22nd, 2009, 7:53 pm
Eventually, when I start to get more intricate with my design and get a little more crazy....but yea, eventually

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 5th, 2009, 8:44 pm
so i went to the home depotes, checked out some timberz.

pretty cheep prices, i like it.

now, all i need to use now is a band saw. whos got one? may i use it?

Site Admin

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Thomas has a Ban Saw, ask him.

If you are going to purchase some wood for this project then you should always get extra for practice.

What sort of finish did you want on this beast? if you don't know have you considered just varnishing the wood? if you do that you can make crazy patterns by layering the wood or other such things.

we could layer the wood with dark and white strips making a striped body. we could even take it one step further and alternate the strips, cut them again and make a checkerboard looking body. if might cost a little more but in the long run you could end up with an awesome looking project.

Just some thoughts.

Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 5th, 2009, 11:16 pm
cool. ill ask him.

and the design, sounds cool. i think i understand what your saying.

for this first shot at making it, im just keeping it plain jane for now. but when we get good at making it, then the crazyness will ensue on stains, colors, finishes, etc.

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 5th, 2009, 11:36 pm
You got this Erock!

What a strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

60w light bulb

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 6th, 2009, 1:33 pm
Go baby go....that is so cool and creative. It is always a great feeling when you can say "yeah, I made that!"

Post Re: Its a GitBox man October 6th, 2009, 7:47 pm
yea, definitly. plus i will save money then just going out and buying one. plus i have total control over every single detail of it.

Post Re: Its a GitBox man UPDATE October 10th, 2009, 4:33 pm
I have bought the wood and glue! pre-stage 1 is a go!