[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
X-INfERNO.com - View topic - A "REAL" Party
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

A "REAL" Party 
Lion Chew Toy

Post A "REAL" Party August 24th, 2009, 5:21 pm
So Patrick's "our form of government post" was a good start I think. Maybe the x-inferno forum didn't work out, but it's giving me space to address something that I have been thinking about for a long time.

You may or may not know, but the church some of us go to has the goal of helping people be "real." (in other words, authentic, genuine, open.) As I said, I've been thinking about this for a while... some of us have been friends for many years, but I wonder how good we are at being real with each other. For instance: does anybody know that I've been an uncle for... at least 5 years now? Or that I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder when I was 14 or 15?

It just doesn't seem like "real" things come up very often. I think we are much better at having fun. And I understand being real means dealing with messy stuff: (like what happened in the political thread that patrick started) Or awkwardness, or having to admit you're wrong, or having to say sorry.

But I really think there is something good about living life in the "real."

So here's where I'm going with this:

I thought it might be interesting to start over with the political discussion, in a way. We could have a "REAL" party. We'll set up tables with different topics (and pizza!). When you sit at a certain table, you talk about a certain thing. Some topics would be easier to talk about than others. You're free to get up and leave the conversation whenever, and move onto something else. I think it could be a cool "experiment" of sorts, just to see how it goes. We could even have a list of talking points to guide conversation if it seems like it's stuck.

I'd appreciate constructive feedback from people.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 24th, 2009, 10:28 pm
im down, lets draw topics from a hat!

60w light bulb

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 25th, 2009, 2:23 pm
you know I'm down!

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 26th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Me and Steve were talking about it, and just throwing ideas around.

What I would suggest is one table, instead of multiple. Each topic from Eric's said "hat" would be discussed for say 20-30 minutes, before the next topic is brought up. That way you don't have people choosing which discussion to join into, just whether or not they want into a certain discussion.

Also we tossed around the idea of having a sort of mediator, to keep discussions on track and try to help each discussion from getting out of hand. The only problem with that is finding an actual unbiased party for each topic.

Anyways it all sounds fun, you know I can't be serious, but I like pizza. NUMMY NUMMY!

What a strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

60w light bulb

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 27th, 2009, 9:13 am
Good idea Jason/Steve.

Lion Chew Toy

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 27th, 2009, 10:45 am
yeah I think the one table is a good idea. maybe two hats though: so we can switch off between heavy topics and lighter ones.

and I have ideas for setting ground rules, and encouraging listening and patience.

So how would a Monday afternoon/night work? if so, is this Monday too soon?

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 28th, 2009, 9:04 am
im down

Knows a thing or two!

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 28th, 2009, 9:54 am
This sounds interesting, and perhaps a bit daunting, but I'd be interested. If this goes down, Monday works for me as long as it's after 6pm.

60w light bulb

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 28th, 2009, 10:07 am

Lion Chew Toy

Post Re: A "REAL" Party August 30th, 2009, 5:51 pm
So yeah. Our place. 6:30pm. We'll all throw in for pizza. Bring drinks or snacks or something!

60w light bulb

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 1st, 2009, 8:23 am
So, I know that I missed yesterday but I was wondering when/if you guys were going to do it again. I want to go, see what happens.

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 1st, 2009, 9:47 am
I Also missed yesterday, but I hope all went well.

60w light bulb

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 1st, 2009, 10:53 am
We tossed around the idea of meeting once a month. So we need a date for september.

Site Admin

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 2nd, 2009, 4:16 pm
it was really fun, you all need to be there next time slackers!

Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 3rd, 2009, 1:50 pm

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 3rd, 2009, 5:21 pm
im down for the 19th, i got no plans

Site Admin

Post Re: A "REAL" Party September 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
lol

Profile WWW