It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

May 4th, 2009 
Hungry like a wolf

Post May 4th, 2009 May 4th, 2009, 3:50 am
What did you do today to stay active?

100w light bulb

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 4th, 2009, 11:39 am
I continued P90X today, only have about 3 weeks left!

For some reason today though, I just had no energy. My workout for today was abs (around 15 minutes) and Chest & Back (About 60 Minutes). I did abs first, but I just feel worn out and I'll have to half-ass my Chest & Back. I'm trying to figure out what could make me not have energy, because usually it's not an issue for this particular workout. Could it be what I ate (or lack of what I ate) the night before? My sleep schedule is weird now too, I get up around 12pm and stay up to around 4am. Any tips?!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 4th, 2009, 4:18 pm
over sleeping can kill ur energy. maybe adjusting ur sleeping patterns.

I walk/ran a mile on tredmill today. then i did some benching. pull ups. i was not feeling it either this morning. i think i will try and hit it hard tomorrow, but i still gotta take it easy as to not hurt myself since im still starting my work out regime. ease into it then hit it hard!

Lion Chew Toy

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 4th, 2009, 8:05 pm
I don't have much time anymore now that I'm working full time and going to school full time.

But I'm doing 2 sets of push-ups and 2 sets of sit-ups every morning.

I'm going to try to run on Sat mornings again, and possibly run after class before I go to bed.

Hungry like a wolf

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 5th, 2009, 4:51 am
I didn't realize you were doing the P90X Steve. Yeah I think sleeping and eating can both tie into a lack of energy during workout. The sleep schedule seems shifted pretty badly but not like you're getting a deficit number of hours of sleep. In terms of my understanding shifted sleep is fine in terms of functional impairments as long as # of hours are good (although I know exactly the people who could answer this question).

Anyways, let's talk a little bit about diet. In terms of trying to fuel one's work out more smaller meals are better than fewer larger meals. This better models the way we expend energy (slowly throughout the day) we can put the bigger meals around our work outs and really fuel those work outs. As much as possible you should be eating natural, non-processed foods. Whole grains, fruits, and veggies should be the backbone of your diet. Also make sure to take in some good fats because this will really help your energy, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil all good things. What's your diet currently like Steve? I've actually gotten really interested in sports nutrition lately. I still eat some ridiculous stuff (mmmmm cookies and ice cream) but have been paying a little more attention to what and how I'm eating. This was especially an issue for me leading up to my marathon when I had to figure out how to eat with the additional energy expenditure of running 40 miles a week. Also what's your goal? Are you trying to shed some fat or build some muscle? You can a little bit different of diets for each of these.

100w light bulb

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 6th, 2009, 12:49 pm
I dieted hard for the first 2 months in order to lose a little bit of weight. I ate 5 small meals a day, which consisted of a lot of chicken, and my one carb serving was a lean fat ham and turkey sandwich with mustard, and also a lot of salad, and some fruit for a snack. It worked really well, in 2 months I went from about 190ish down to around 165 currently. I've put a lot of carbs back into my diet and it's way more relaxed now because I cut the weight I wanted to. My goal really is to just be in good shape and have a little bit extra muscle. My gut is still a little big so I'm trying to decide if I want to try to lose more weight or not, but for now I'm going to try to finish p90x and see how I feel then. My plan for when I finish is to mostly do cardio 2-3 times a week to stay in shape, but we'll see!

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 6th, 2009, 1:30 pm
hey steve, when p90x is done what happens next? is there like a high lever you can do it on once youve finished it the first time around?

100w light bulb

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 May 6th, 2009, 3:30 pm
There's something called P90X Plus which seems similar but your schedule can focus in on a certain area, like muscle or cardio or something, but really through doing all the videos you just learn good exercises to do so you can keep up with it and stay in shape, just not as hardcore.